Friday 22 October 2010

Cimitero Monumentale, Milan, Italy - First Part of many i guess...

Dear Readers,

yesterday we came back from our short trip to Italy. My wife and me spent a few days there - mainly to tackle the famous cemeteries there.

We arrived last Sunday and unfortunatly it was raining. But that couldn't stop us to drive directly into Milano and visit the Cimitero Monumentale. I've seen a lot of pictures of it before my visit there and i thought i knew at least roughly what to expect.

But no Google Earth, Flickr or even printed books about that cemetery could prepare me for this. I often read descriptions of it like "It's a beautiful place" or "Plenty of Angels: It's worth a visit!" But nobody told me how big it is:

It is shockingly huge!

It was crammed and packed with beautiful, interesting and stunning sculptures and soon i was lost and speechless. As i said nothing could prepare me for the sheer size of it. I was standing there and i was covered in goosebumps.

Just some facts about our trip before we come to the first batch of photos: We had 2 DSLR's (a Canon 450d and a Canon 100d - which was borrowed by a very close friend of mine) and we had 4 lenses  (we used only 2 of them: a 50mm 1.8 II and a 70-200 4.0 L). We shot 679 pictures at Milano. It was quite a rush job, because we didn't had the time we wanted and we missed more than we saw. And while the rain was quite annoying it gave us at least some brilliant pictures because some sculptures are fairly dramatic if wet...

See for yourself:




Thankfully there were huge halls where we were safe and where we could see some angels in the dry:


No comments:

Post a Comment